The church building was the first Free Church in the area, built in 1876.
However, services began in Bellshill in September 1873 at the recommendation of the Free Church Presbytery of Hamilton and were for a time held in Mossend school. The charge was sanctioned in 1874.
The rapid growth of the population, employed in coal mines and iron works, favoured the development of the congregation.
The foundation stone of the Church, hall, and manse was laid on 9th June 1876 and by August 1877 the church was ready for public worship. The architect is David Clunas. Read our entry in the Dictionary of Scottish Architects.
Initial Membership figures were: 143 in 1875, and 477 in 1900. The first Minister was William Macdonald, who the church was re-named after in 1912.
The building at 346 Main Street has been called;
- (1874) Bellshill Free Church,
- (1900) Bellshill East United Free Church,
- (1912) the Macdonald Memorial United Free Church, and
- (1929) at the Union of the churches it adopted the name Macdonald Memorial Church of Scotland and became a parish church in its own right.
- (2014) Bellshill Central Parish Church, upon the union with Orbiston
The Blackie Memorial Hall was opened in 1950.